12 chicken mid joints (or other chicken parts; for drumsticks, marinade overnight for more flavour)
freshly ground black pepper
4 tbsp (1/4 cup) honey
4 tbsp (1/4 cup) soy sauce
2 tbsp sake
1. Rinse the mid joints under cold water and pat dry.
2. Combine the seasonings in a ziploc bag.
Tip: Keep the measuring cup upside down to get the last drop of honey while you do the next step.
3. Prick the mid joints all over with a fork and season with salt and pepper.
4. Add the mid joints in the ziploc bag and squeeze the air out, zip up the bag. Coat the mid joints with marinade all around by rubbing them. Marinate for at least 30 to 60 minutes and of course you can marinate overnight.
5. Preheat oven to 220 degrees C. Place the mid joints in a baking pan. Make sure the mid joints are not overlapping each other and the skin side is up. Pour the marinade liquid over the top. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
6. Baste the mid joints a couple of times during the baking. If the mid joints are done and the top is not browned, you can change the oven setting to broil until the top is nicely browned. If the top is browning too fast while baking, cover with a sheet of aluminium foil to stop the chicken from burring. Serve immediately