4 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp sake
2 chicken thigh fillets
1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup cooked white rice
1. Place soy sauce, miring, sugar and sake in a bowl. Mix and marinade for at least 20 minutes or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
3. Line a baking tray with foil.
4. Remove chicken thigh fillets and brush with oil. Pour the marinade over the chicken.
5. Place fillets on the foil-lined tray and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Tip: to determine if the chicken is cooked, prick it with a fork. The juice should run clear.
6. Serve on top of steamed white rice.
Recipe for grilled unagi Ingredient 1 fillet of whole unagi (eel) Instructions 1. Line baking tray with aluminium foil. Place unagi on top. 2. Without preheating, put the baking tray in the middle rack of the oven, and broil on high for 7 minutes (no need to flip). 3. After 7 minutes or so, take it out
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 large vanilla bean
150g pumpkin, peeled and diced 150g sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/4 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped finely
3/4 cups arborio rice
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/8-1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped Method Put the vegetable broth into a medium saucepan and warm over medium-high heat. Cut the vanilla bean in half. Scrape out the seeds and add them to the broth. Add in the vanilla bean itself. Simmer then reduce heat to low. Add the pumpkin and sweet potato to the broth and simmer until it is fork-tender, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pumpkin and sweet potato chunks to a dish. Turn the heat on the broth to low and cover to keep warm. In a large heavy saucepan, heat the 1/4 tbsp olive oil. Add in the onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add in the rice and cook until coated with oil, about one minute. Add in the white wine and simmer, continuously stirring, until all of the wine has evaporated. Then, in 1/2 cup increments, add the broth to the rice, only adding more when the previous batch has almost entirely evaporated. Stir. Stir. Stir. When the rice is tender but still firm to the bite and creamy, turn off the heat. Mix in the pumpkin, sweet potato and parmesan cheese. Add chives. Will HE make it again? maybe